Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Computer (W)ails


After 17 hours on the computer yesterday and several hours on the phone today, I can't believe I'm even managing a post here now.

While Mac's are much less prone to crashes than other types of computers, they nevertheless happen. I had some fairly serious (though not as bad as they could have been) computer problems yesterday. After a few unusual crashes, I ran a software fix program that I've used many times before. It didn't work the first time through...it actually shut itself down. I ran it again. Without getting into too many details, it found a lot lot of corrupted files (overlapped) and more or less fixed the situation.

When my computer came back on (and I actually clapped with relief when it did), I discovered that while everything else was fine (and I AM grateful...all my pictures, music, bookmarks, misc. work, etc were fine), my mail program and my calendar/schedule book suddenly were as if they were turned on for the first time, same with all the basic settings for the computer as a whole (Appearance, general preferences, etc.). That was about the time that I realized that the last time I backed up my computer was March.

After hours upon hours of trying to retrieve what was lost, I readjusted everything to the way I like it and figured I'd just have to bite the bullet as far as all e-mail went. I knew that all was not lost as far as my schedule went though. My Palm was still cool. In fact, it can synch with my calendar/scheduler and I could bring that up to date easily. Yeah... When I tried that, my computer erased out my entire schedule off my Palm (rather than my Palm filling-in the computer). One of the results was me being a half hour late for a job today.

I know to back-up important stuff regularly. Everyone knows. In fact, I was just thinking about it the other day...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Okay.

So here's the current deal... Anyone that owes me mail can lie and say you sent it yesterday. Anyone I owe mail to will have to deal with the fact that I am starting from scratch (actually, from March since I reinstalled back-ups).

As best as memory serves...I don't work tomorrow. I'm debating getting an external hardrive to backup the whole computer regularly. They are really cheap right now. Tomorrow's plan: After sleeping to an unbelievably late hour, I'll back up the important parts of what I have and give the rest some thought. Taka has been great through my recent obsession, and I made it up to her (a very tiny bit) by a good dinner tonight...I plan on making tomorrow two in a row.

Time to get away from this thing for a while.

Told you guys that this site would be more like an online diary...the other site is for those less faint of heart!

Try this: Think About It Now which can be found at: www.thinkait@blogspot.com if clicking on the link doesn't work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home