Monday, May 22, 2006

Long Time

Let me start by saying that a) the hiccups thing was a one-off and b) most of this was written even before the the last post.

It's been quite while since I've posted anything here...but that's not the reason for the title.

My mother and aunt came for a visit. It's been a long time since I've spent time with family (other than my wife)...but that's not the reason for the title.

Looking back on the last couple of weeks, I've come to realize what a very long time it's been since I've spent more than a few hours at a time with anyone (...and that's getting to the main thought behind the title). Kind of weird really...I know I don't come off that way, but these days I get a little freaked when dealing with people for more than a few hours at a time.

The Visit:

My mother and aunt's visit kind of started a long time before they actually got here. I wanted to be a good host, but it's not something I have a lot of experience with. My mother and aunt aren't exactly what you would call experienced travelers, and from the east coast of the States to two countries in Asia is quite a trip. I kind of felt the need to impart a little ....actually, I was a bit of a dick.

I think it's (partially) because it's been a little too long since I've spent significant amounts of time with anyone. I was out of practice. I don't think I handled things as well as I could have. I was worried. Aside from their time with me, I was worried about the time they would be traveling without me. Traveling alone in other countries with ease is a skill that takes time and practice. Some people can drift through a trip to a new place, but that's not my image of my family.

With that as my excuse, guess what?! I may have copped an attitude on the woman that birthed me...and her sister. I hope they know it was out of love and concern...especially if they are reading this! :-)

All that said, I was really happy to have them here. It was really cool to show the people I grew up with the world I live in now. Even though the focus was on some of the more touristy stuff, it's cool that my next e-mail or phone call will draw on personal experience of where I am calling or writing from. It's been a long time. Too long. For that matter, I think I need a little re-connect time back home.

Overall, I rally enjoyed the visit. Of course it was wonderful to be together, but I liked pretty much all the rest of it too. I like seeing the stuff tourists want to see. They want to see it for all the reasons I ocassionaly miss due to the complacency that time and familiarity causes. If all their pictures weren't being loaded to this computer, I'd have had to take loads of shots myself. This is an interesting place to live (the whole country, not just Tokyo), and visitors help keep that a sharp mental image.

Did I mention that family-time was a big part of it?!

..or that it's been a long time...

I'm sure anyone would understand if my asshole-ieness showed before that first cup of caffeine in the morning, but that's not what I remember. Mornings were actually okay. I was more of an evening asshole. Okay, enough self-flagellation for the moment. (and I wrote this a while ago and don't even remember why)

While my mom and aunt were here, I had a lot of random thoughts and feelings. Lame as it is, here's one: Is it a normal age-thing to feel joints and muscles just getting on a bike (I ride a bike the way most Americans drive a car...in the neighborhood at least)? Early mornings, late nights, and loads of walking no doubt play a huge part, but I'm still sore! Here's one: Am I still American? I don't really feel like it, but can't replace it with anything else. Sometimes I think I revel in the fact that I am an obvious foreigner in this place. These days I would probably feel like one back home, but I am actually one here.

Bedtime.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks like you having multiple thoughts and reflections on your mother's visit... take it easy buddy, it's your mom you're writing about. if you have any regrets, please take consolation knowing she's likely forgiven you for any offense and may never have taken offense in the beginning... It also seems as though you're having a "lost in translation" moment. remember to be yourself as you will always take you with you no matter where it is you go.

hey, one last thing in this short comment; do you feel diffenent hanging with your bald buddy from jersey than with other folks? just wondering...

DWC

7:17 AM, May 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home