Saturday, August 27, 2005

little-known holidays

Today was a holiday that I had completely forgotten. It's celebrated more in some areas than others, but seems to be a pretty big thing in Shibamata. I guess the literal translation would be: Be-Tolerant-of-the-Terminally Rude-Obnoxious-and-Just-Plain-Stupid-or-Stay-at-Home Day. I think the more acceptable translation would be something like: Saturday. Granted that today was in the 90's (pretty hot!) and 92% humidity (damned humid!) might have had something to do with it...or at least how I perceived things.

SIDE NOTE: I'll always try to convert temperatures, weights, money and the like into something easily understandable by both family and friends. ;-)

It's not really a joke when I say that my iPod and the Kirin Company may have actually saved lives today (not to mention run-in's with what passes for the law around here).

On the more positive side:

Another care package from Taka's family today. We have so much stuff, we're talking about dishes we can prepare over the weekend to freeze for later. Taka is making gyoza tonight (half are vegetarian and half are with shrimp). She's cooking now and can't stand my hovering on one of the few occasions she makes use of my kitchen. Don't get me wrong. She's a fantastic cook. It's just that with our schedules such as they are, the kitchen has been my realm for a while now and I get a little...well...I hover.

I learned a new phrase today that worked great. I'll likely forget it in about no time flat because 1) Hey, this is me! and B) I will only be able to use it a maximum of once a month or so. It's, "San mai oroshi, onegaishimasu.". I can also possibly manage, "San mai oroshi onegai dekimasuka?". The first more or less translates to: "Filet that into two pieces please." and the second one is, "Can you (Is it possible) to filet that into two pieces (for me)?". One is for the fish store near here and the other for one of the supermarkets. As we only eat fish maybe once a week and even then in really small quantities, who knows when I'll get to use it again. It worked well enough today though.

...Back from dinner.

It was beyond great. We had half the gyoza parboiled, then fried in the same pan with soy and sesame oils. When they're done, the gyoza get dipped in a combination of soy sauce and rice vinegar (with a drop or two of some Chinese pepper oil I forget the name of) as you eat them. The other half were boiled and served in a bowl with just a little of the water they were cooked in and some ponzu. Taka's combination of ingredients for the gyoza filling tonight were the best we've had to date. We also had a salad of boiled eggplant topped with shiso, myoga (which I knew as a food item, but found out tonight is the bulb of a ginger plant), shredded grilled saba (a kind of mackerel) and finished with ponzu.

As you can tell. My rant at the world phase has ended by more than a little. A bit of relaxing, some left-over dishes to be washed, a little watermelon and then it'll be a fast shower and off to bed. Not really as bad a day as the beginning of this post lead you to believe.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi friend,
Though what I have to share with you today has nothing to do with your blog I want to share it with you and whoever may be viewing it...

The following joke almost made me split a seam...

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/


Q: How many Bush Administration officials does it take to screw in a light bulb?


A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are a delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effect. Why do you hate freedom?

3:24 AM, August 30, 2005  
Blogger Steve said...

Good one!

Try this:

A Morality Test

This test only has one question, but it's a very important one. By giving an honest answer, you will discover where you stand morally. The test features an unlikely, completely fictional situation in which you will have to make a decision. Remember that your answer needs to be honest, yet spontaneous. Please scroll down slowly and give due consideration to each line.

You are in Florida, Miami to be specific. There is chaos all around you caused by a hurricane with severe flooding. This is a flood of biblical
proportions. You are a photojournalist working for a major newspaper, and you're caught in the middle of this epic disaster. The situation is nearly hopeless. You're trying to shoot career-making photos. There are houses and people swirling around you, some disappearing under the water. Nature is unleashing all of its destructive fury.

Suddenly you see a man floundering in the water. He is fighting for his life, trying not to be taken down with the debris. You move closer...somehow
the man looks familiar. You suddenly realise who it is.

It's George W Bush!

At the same time you notice that the raging waters are about to take him under ... forever. You have two options - you can save the life of G.W. Bush, or ...you can shoot a dramatic Pulitzer Prize winning photo, documenting the death of one of the worlds most powerful men.

So here's the question, and please give an honest answer:




Would you select high contrast colour film, or would you go with the classic simplicity of black and white???

10:54 AM, August 30, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All right Steve, since you already know who I am I have to ask why you pass that joke on to me... I mean dude, come on... we talked about that one on the phone!!! :P
By the way, I'm still waiting to see the pictures of the Shibuya girls... Hell, even Shibamata girls would satisfy me... @^o^@ Koo Kuu koo kuu
Anyway, looking forward to your next posting.
Say, one more thing... when is there going to be someone other than me and Daniel posting something? Just wondering...

11:41 AM, August 30, 2005  
Blogger Steve said...

I really didn't know who it was. I've been back-n-forth several times.

Most Shibamata girls are either over fifty or under five (with a very small amount of women my age about to kick out their third or fourth kid). If you have preferences for either, keep your opinion to yourself please!

...and let's stay on topic. No comments on my Holiday article (or at least culinary delights)?

2:52 PM, August 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home