Saturday, December 31, 2005

Gout

Some of you know that I have had, in the past, several instances of gout. I haven't had an incident since my diet change more than two years ago. Some of you have heard me proudly mention that...but we all know about pride, don't we?

Right now I'm in the second day of a full-blown attack...unless I inadvertently broke a bone in my foot (which, surprisingly enough, I haven't ruled out).

Gout is partially hereditary (pretty much the same thing that causes kidney stones), partially food-related, and partially alcohol-related. It is caused by the formation of uric acid crystals in the joints...usually one at a time and usually in the foot (most often, big toe).

Mention Gout and people that think they know, break into a big smile (just short of laughter). It's not anything close to that smile-provoking image...and quite frankly, I wouldn't wish it on an enemy. For those of you I haven't already bored to tears explaining it to, gout is probably nothing like you imagine (if you have ever heard of it at all)...and mine is atypical. It's actually a progressive form of arthritis. Here's one part of many "official definitions:

Gout is one of the most common forms of arthritis (joint inflammation). It appears as an acute attack often coming on overnight. Within 12-24 hours there is severe pain and swelling in the affected joint. The skin over the joint may be red and shiny.

Gout usually affects only one or two joints at a time - most often the feet and ankles. The ball of the big toe is the commonest site. Without treatment the attack subsides in a week or so and when patients first develop gout there may be intervals of many months or even years between attacks. As time goes by, these tend to become more frequent and more severe and eventually many joints may be involved, sometimes all at the same time. At this stage a state of chronic or continuous joint disease may develop with progressive joint damage, disability and crippling (chronic gout). Gout affects mostly men and is very rare in women until after the menopause when it is quite often seen.
(courtesy of Wellington Regional Rheumatology Unit, Hutt Hospital).

In my case, it has most often affected my ankles. I've had it in both...though not at the same time. That would literally leave me fully bed-ridden. Right now the affected area seems to be the bones in the top, middle of my right foot (unless I fractured something kicking one of the brats from upstairs's bike out of my way the other day).

This a picture that doesn't even come close...but the best of several tries before I got really sick of trying.

Sorry about a foot picture...I really don't like feet...not even my own.

I wasn't kidding when I said this is something I wouldn't wish on an enemy. I need a cane just to make what has become a five minute trip to the bathroom. If I need to go more than 20 feet, I will break a sweat from the pain. I have crutches, but try to stay with the cane (anyone that has had to use crutches will understand).

The above was written just a short time after the last post (nice holiday, huh?), but I held it a while to avoid posting faster than most people check. I'm actually much better now (though still limping).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home