Monday, August 15, 2005

Work and Travel

Traveling around Tokyo midday can be a little weird if you are used to going places only during rush hour or on weekends. Traveling midday on a holiday can be even weirder, but traveling midday on a holiday that's not really a holiday can be the strangest yet. This is O-bon. The "official" holiday is different in each town or city and usually doesn't even warrant the closing of banks or post offices. A lot of people head back to their home towns, some based on when O-bon is there, and some based on when they have a vacation from work in the city they're in.

Today the trains were a strange combination of people that seemed like they had never been on a train or in a subway station, people going about their regular workday and people just utterly lost while visiting Tokyo. Color me jaded, but there were times today that I almost wanted to just run over people that were in my way (for what it's worth, I wasn't the only one).

When I got home from work around 5:30 (shopped for dinner on the way home), I almost dropped everything when I saw (and heard) Taka in the bedroom. She came down with something. She's running a fever, feels horrible and came home from work early. Still, it's quite a shock when you think your entering an empty place then someone sits up and says something (not that I heard anything with my iPod still playing Mr. Marley).

Still in the experimental stage of all this. It's mostly diary style. Have no fear, the rants and political dissertations will no doubt show up sooner or later. I'll try to label Rants and Political Stuff so that anyone that cares to can just ignore it. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home