Monday, February 04, 2008

Reflections on Internet Stuff

“God is my shepherd.”

Why someone that would write that should cross my internet path is a little beyond me. Does that mean the writer is a sheep? Does it mean the Lord wants us smelly, stupid, hairy and compliant (and we should proclaim it proudly)?!...Oh, wait!...does three out of four win any prizes? I think I’d rather be a goat. You’d get to head-butt the shepherd from time to time.

I’m going to Hell, aren’t I....

I'm playing a version of Scrabble online with my brother. Getting my butt kicked in a game of Scrabble is nothing that unusual...the fact that it's happening online over a period of more than a week makes me feel old just by thinking about it. Time itself is out of hand! My grandfather would talk about "When I was young...". I'm like, "Five years ago....".

I'm listening to a very funny and cool, live version of Leonard Cohen singing "I'm Your Man" streaming from a commercial-free internet radio station (192k MP3) while typing this. That alone says a lot about the internet (...and thank the shepherd for good speakers and ADSL).

I remember not getting software I really wanted because it would take forever (or at least the better part of a night) to download. Now I get pissed off when the streaming music kicks out more than once an hour.

"Multi-tasking" was not even a word when I was at university (not sure it is one now)...but I now have the uncanny ability to start ten or twenty things and kind of do all of them at once while not finishing a single one of them.

Focus used to be something you need for your life...now you need that (and some kind of caffeine/sugar combination) to finish whatever you are working on at that moment.

The Daily Show on demand.

Mac used to be something the Beatles pretended was a hat (yes, I realize some of you might be British).

I love finishing, "...who was that guy in...?" with "...wait a minute...' and coming back from the computer with, "Oh yeah. It was...".

Being wrong about something is almost as fast as being right about something these days.

The internet proves beyond any doubt that there are weirder, stranger people than you...pretty much everywhere.

Life has gone from a need to be face-to-face for conversation to Facebook. From the need for holding something to your ear, to a keyboard and "WB. LOL. Wassup?" (I can provide translations for some of that if necessary).

Random freaks can spend hours writing down, then revising stuff that nobody really wants to read anyway...uh...Strike that.

Chatting is most closely associated with typing on a keyboard these days.

By the time I finish this, technology may make the whole thing archaic (I've used that word twice in a week. I should win some kind of geek prize).

People never seem to really end anything anymore because they can always

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home